Friday 23 March 2018

Manildra Group - MQRF container wagon

The MQRF container wagon operated and owned by Manildra has always been a wagon I have always wanted to model. I remember visiting Sydney for a week of train spotting roughly around 2003 and seeing these wagons (back then were coded AQRF as they were owned by ARG before being on sold to Manildra) running behind a couple of CLP/CLF and L/31 classes.

Photo courtesy of Flickr

So where did I start with these wagons? I managed to source kits off eBay by CDH Models that was a good base to start with. The kits comes with some cast brake detail but I used Steam Era Models brake components kits (C1) as I was after grade controls, hand brake wheel and other small bits and pieces. I added new side and end sills to the wagons that were made out of styrene strips (from memory 1mm thick, 3.2mm high and cut to required length). The hand brake wheel stand I scratch built out of some styrene strips I had lying around. The deck is a chequered plate design that I did  not incorporate into the model as I was trying to keep costs as low as possible for the customer. End sill detail I would recommend air hoses and shunter steps, Model Etch made amazing brass etch steps that I had packs still of. Bogies can be used from any manufacturer, I just used Orient Express Reproductions version. As for decals I ended up getting custom made ones.






No comments:

Post a Comment